These days, in a bid to enhance the skin’s complexion, people use chemical products that lighten the skin and in turn damage the skin. That is why it is advised you shouldn’t bleach your skin. However, people hardly have an even skin tone, all thanks to skin problems, pollution, harsh rays of the sun, etc. If you are among these people, you would really want to return your complexion to its natural state, that is, how it was when you were born. Rather than giving in to skin bleaching products that contain dangerous chemicals like hydroquinone and mercury, you should try these natural ways to lighten your skin without side effects.
How to Lighten Your Skin Naturally
1. Drink Enough Water
I know you must be tired of this water thingy as you’ve read it in several of our articles on skincare. But you see, you need water to stay healthy and look good. Hence, you should drink at least 6-8 glasses of water to keep your body hydrated always. Drinking water also flushes out toxins in your body and helps your skin look fresh and smooth.
Avocado contains Vitamin A which serves as a moisturiser and an anti-aging agent.
How to Use
- Take out the seed from the avocado and blend the gel.
- Apply on your face and body and leave it to dry for 20 minutes.
- Rinse out with lukewarm water.
If you have an oily skin, do not use avocado to lighten your complexion.
3. Cucumber Slices
Cucumber contains potassium and Vitamin K which helps in absorbing calcium. It is a skin lightening agent.
How to use
- Cut a cucumber into tiny slices.
- Rub on affected area for about five minutes.
- Leave it to dry for ten minutes.
- Rinse with tepid water.
For better result, do this every day before bathing.
4. Rice Water
Rice water also helps in lightening skin colour. It contains ferulic acid and allantoin that work as skin lightening agent and anti-inflammation respectively.
How to Use
- Put at least four tablespoons of rice into a bowl of distilled water.
- Stir until the water turns milky white.
- Sieve out the rice and keep the water.
- Dip a cotton ball into the water and massage your body and face with it.
- Leave for 20 minutes before rinsing off with cold water.
Lime is an antioxidant for your facial skin. It can also be used to lighten your underarms.
How to Use
- Wash two limes and cut them.
- Wash your face before massaging the lime into your skin.
- Let it stay for about 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water then rinse with cold water.
- Afterwards, apply moisturiser and repeat once a week for quicker results.
If it itches or irritates you as you use, then stop using it.
Using any of these natural ways to lighten your skin protects you from adverse side effects capable of damaging your skin. While you add them to your skincare routine, remember to always wear a sunscreen and exfoliate from time to time. Wearing a sunscreen keeps you protected from the harmful UV rays of the sun. You should always wear one when you step out and even when you are indoors as sun rays can penetrate through glass. You can as well wear caps, hats and sunglasses to further protect yourself.
Would you like to read more interesting stories that’ll help you become better at dressing up?
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter right away.