Human hair weaves are usually expensive and that makes them an investment. You want them to look their best all the time so people can rate you high whenever you wear them. However, if they aren’t given adequate care, they don’t last long. They shouldn’t be treated like synthetic hair because there’s a lot of difference between human hair and synthetic hair. Therefore, to help make your weaves last longer, we’ve curated some tips on how to take care of your human hair weaves. Do read and save this page for future reference.
How to Take Care of Your Human Hair Weaves
Treating your human hair depends on how often you wear them. The following are the ways to treat your weaves.
1. Wash Your Weave/Wig Regularly if You Wear Them Frequently
If you wear your human hair very often, you should wash it once a month. This will help you revamp the weave/wig and return it to its initial perfect state. However, if your weaves aren’t dirty, you don’t have to wash it. Hence, to know if your weave or wig is dirty, check if it looks dry and frizzy. If it does, then it’s dirty.
To wash your human hair:
- Comb it with a wide-tooth comb from tips to root and mat it to prevent it from tangling.
- Use lukewarm water to wash it with a shampoo because of the oil buildup in it.
- Wash it up until the water changes colour.
- Rinse it out and apply your deep conditioner. You don’t have to wash out the conditioner immediately. Let it sit for some minutes.
- Put the hair in a ziplock bag.
- Put the bag in a microwave or steamer. If you don’t have any of those, put the ziplock bag under the sun for at least two hours. If there’s no sun, leave it overnight.
- Afterwards, take the hair out of the ziplock bag and comb it out. To comb, start from the tips to the root. This will get rid of tangles.
- Then rinse it warm or cold water.
- Don’t dry with a towel to avoid breakage. Simply let it air-dry.
2. Avoid Oily Products on Your Hair
Human hair don’t need oily or greasy products to look good. They are curly, wavy or straight on their own without applying any product on them. So be mindful of this.
3. Visit Your Hair Stylist for Styling Options
A good hair stylist can save you from making a costly mistake while styling your weaves. They know how best to style the hair and they know how to use heat equipment on the hair without making it brittle and weak. You probably can do it well, but they do it better. Hence, you should take your weaves to them to make it straighter, curlier and wavier. However, you should note that too much heat equipment on your hair makes it weaken quickly. Therefore, it should be done less frequently.
4. Do Not Sleep With Your Wig On
Even if your wig looks so great, take it off when you want to sleep so your scalp can breathe. Keep it on a wig stand, hook or mannequin when you aren’t wearing it. This will maintain its shape and prevent it from getting tangled. However, if it’s fixed on your hair, wear a satin bonnet to help retain moisture and prevent tangling.
5. Note the Things to Avoid Doing
Another tip on how to take care of your human hair weaves is to avoid some certain things.
- You should avoid touching your weaves all the time. When you touch them frequently, you transfer oil and grime from your hands to your hair thus making the hair unattractive and dull.
- You should as well avoid washing your hair with hot water, chlorine and salt water to prevent damaging the strands. Swimming pools contain chlorinated water and as such, you should avoid going inside them with your hair. But if you must do, rinse your hair with cold water before and after swimming.
- Avoid using towels to dry your human hair weaves to prevent breakage.
- Avoid wearing your weaves often. It’s the same as wearing a particular shirt every day. With time, the shirt will lose its colour and won’t look as good as when you bought it.
If you really want to know how to take care of your human hair weaves, avoid exposing them to the sun, heat appliances and hair products all the time. This can lessen the lifespan of your hair.